Many organists have a dream of one day becoming an organist of international level. They want to be able to tour the world extensively by giving organ concerts in the most famous cathedrals and concert halls of the world. Such a successful organist career gives possibilities to play interesting and important organs in various countries, meet new audiences, and showcase your organ skills for a large number of people. In this article, I will give you 15 tips which will help you in becoming an international concert organist.
1. Commit to practicing organ playing every day. Regular and wise practicing is vital in any organist career.
2. Develop an excellent finger and pedal technique on the organ. This is a critical step. You must have the ability to perform any technical feat which may be encountered in any organ composition.
3. Master a large amount of organ repertoire. Learn the most important pieces from the Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern periods of various national schools of organ composition.
4. Participate in various international organ academies and master classes. This will help you to advance your technical and artistic level, try new instruments, and make lots of personal connections.
5. If your age permits, participate in various local and international organ competitions. Winning major international organ competitions is the fastest road to success. Even if you don't win, the proper preparation and participation will propel you to the next level of advancement.
6. Make important personal and professional connections with organists across the globe. Use social media channels to increase the number of your friends in organ world.
7. Think about how you can be unique among other organists. Because the competition in the international organ scene is so huge, this is crucial point. You must find an angle which will help other people to perceive you and your skills in a different light from others.
8. Consistently market yourself as an organist. Use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and other social media channels to regularly spread the word about your professional achievements, activities, and engagements. However, be careful not to spam. All ways aim that your postings be of value and interest others first.
9. Create a personal website. Your website must make easy for your visitors to get more information about you.
10. Record video and/or audio samples of your playing. Your best recordings and videos will testify your advancement level.
11. Prepare unique and attractive program. Think of your audience, particular instrument as well as the concert organizers as you create a list of the organ pieces you want to put together for a recital.
12. Research and compile a list of possible organ concert venues and festivals. Use the Internet to find various churches, cathedrals and concert halls which offer international organ recital series.
13. Write an attractive recital proposal. Everything from a Subject line (a title) to introduction, body of your message and a call-to-action is important to keep the interest of your readers. If you fail but one detail, chances are that your email will end up in the spam or junk folder.
14. Send this proposal to your personal connections and a list of concert venues and festivals. Use your list you compiled in step 11 to spread your message.
15. Repeat previous steps as many times as you want. Remember, that personal development and marketing is an ongoing task so the more consistent effort you put into action the better chances you have to succeed. Don't expect to receive tons of offers from your first email. People have to trust you, they must have confidence in you and this takes time and persistence from your part.
There is much more you can do which can help you to become an international known organist. But these are the most important things. Although it takes many months to successfully complete this step-by-step plan, you can begin to implement it today.
By the way, do you want to learn to play the King of Instruments - the pipe organ? If so, download my FREE video guide: "How to Master Any Organ Composition" in which I will show you my EXACT steps, techniques, and methods that I use to practice, learn and master any piece of organ music.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Our Hauptwerk Setup:
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Don't have an organ at home?
Download paper manuals and pedals, print them out, cut the white spaces, tape the sheets together and you'll be ready to practice anywhere where is a desk and floor. Make sure you have a higher chair.