Practice improvising the above C minor 8 measure period in 2/4 meter with modulation to Bb major in 4 parts with these chords:
C minor to Bb major: i-V43-i6=ii6-+II65-I64-(vii7)-v-v-(V65)-v=vi-ii-ii-I64-V7-I
The meaning of the chords:
1. Roman numerals indicate scale degrees in that key.
2. Root positions of chords are built from these scale degrees.
3. Capital Roman numerals mean major chords.
4. Small Roman numerals mean minor chords.
5. + sign means raised 4th scale degree in the chord.
6. = sign means that the chord is common in two keys - in the old key and in the new key.
7. A chord in parentheses () means temporary tonicization - it belongs to the key of the next chord.
Take a slow tempo, aim for legato touch and 3 correct repetitions in a row.
Here's my video example of this exercise (my hands are visible in this video).
If you find this exercise helpful, you might also like my new Modulation Workshop.
Would you like to say "Thank You" to us? Buy Us Coffee.
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Do you have a unique skill or knowledge related to the organ art? Pitch us your story to become a guest on Secrets of Organ Playing Podcast.
Don't have an organ at home?
Download paper manuals and pedals, print them out, cut the white spaces, tape the sheets together and you'll be ready to practice anywhere where is a desk and floor. Make sure you have a higher chair.