One of the main things that keeps many organists from practicing is the lack of time. They say they would want to play the organ more but their job takes so much of their time, not to mention commuting, their families and other important tasks they have to do during the day. However, I believe it is possible to squeeze in more organ practice time in your day. Try applying the following 6 tips and you will be able to spend more time playing organ without sacrificing your other important responsibilities.
1) Prioritize your time. Take a look at your daily tasks and try to make a list of them on the sheet of paper. You will have 10 or more things that you do each day. You will be surprised that some of the things are not really important. So number this list from the most important to the ones that can be omitted. This way you will be able to have more time for organ practice.
2) Practice during TV commercials. You may not realize this but TV commercials might be a great time to practice organ playing. Usually there are 3 or more times when commercials are shown during a show or a film. Each commercial might last at least 5 minutes. This gives you to play the organ at least for 15 minutes or even longer.
3) Practice longer on the weekends. If you work from 8 to 5 on weekdays, then the most productive time for your organ playing might be the weekends. You can spend even 2-3 hours on the organ bench this way. However, make sure you rest every 30 minutes, stretch, have a drink and relax your mind and body.
4) Limit distractions. If you look at the usual day of an ordinary person, you will soon notice at least several distractions which are serious wasters of time and energy, if used not efficiently. These are various social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and many others. Note that I am not suggesting you should avoid them completely. Just check your email twice a day. The same applies for social networking sites. You can spend the time saved on your organ practice.
5) Get up earlier or stay up longer. The great times for organ playing during the day are mornings or evenings. 30 minutes might be all you need for practice. Note that you can spend this time doing other important tasks that you need to accomplish which in turn will allow for more organ practice time during the day.
6) Have a constant practice schedule. Whatever time you choose for your organ playing, make it constant. Put it on your calendar so that you will know the exact time each day for playing the organ. Let your family members know about your commitment and ask for their support.
Although these tips may seem self-evident, only surprisingly small number of people put them into action. Many of them would want to spend more time practicing the organ but they lack perseverance to see their commitment through. Just like anything worthwhile, organ practice takes conscious effort from the organist's part but if you stay focused on your goal, you too, can do it.
By the way, do you want to learn to play the King of Instruments - the pipe organ? If so, download my FREE video guide: "How to Master Any Organ Composition" in which I will show you my EXACT steps, techniques, and methods that I use to practice, learn and master any piece of organ music.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Our Hauptwerk Setup: