Here is a list (incomplete) of topics an organist who wants to master harmony should learn:
1. T, S, and D chords
2. Connection of the same chords in a different position
3. Harmonization of the bass line
4. Skips of the third
6. Cadential second inversion chord
7. Chords of the relationship of the third
8. Root position chord and first inversion chord and vice versa
9. S-D6 and S6-D chords
10. Skips in root position chords and first inversion chords
11. Two first inversion chords
12. Passing and neighboring second inversion chords
13. Dominant seventh chord (D7)
14. Inversions of the D7
15. D7 inversions with skips
16. Chord of the 2nd scale degree and its first inversion
17. Harmonic major
18. Chord of the 6th scale degree
19. Seventh-chord of the 2nd scale degree and its inversions
20. Seventh-chord of the 7th scale degree and its inversions
21. Dominant ninth-chord and ninth-chord of the 2nd scale degree
22. First inversion of the chord of the 7th scale degree
23. Root position chord of the 3rd scale degree
24. Dominant chord with a sixth
25. Natural minor
26. Diatonic sequences (seventh-chords of any scale degree)
27. Double Dominant chord in cadences
28. Double Dominant chord in exposition
30. Chromatic sequences
31. Modulations to the keys of the first relationship
32. Natural minor in modulation
33. Modulating sequences
34. Dominant chords with alteration
35. Subdominant chords with alteration
36. Modulations to the keys of the second relationship
37. Modulations to the keys of the distant relationship
38. Enharmonic modulation through diminished seventh chord
39. Enharmonic modulation through dominant seventh chord
40. Major-minor and minor-major system
41. Diatonic modes
Assignments should include harmonizing the melody in the soprano and the bass in any of these topics on paper and at the instrument as well as playing cadences, sequences, and modulations.
Harmony leads to analysis.
Analysis leads to composition.
Composition leads to improvisation.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my video Organ Practice Guide.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Our Hauptwerk Setup: