Many organists want to become famous and world-renowned in their profession. Achieving this level, when you are famous and respected is not easy. It takes many years of consistent and effective practice and proper guidance from your instructor. Here I have a few recommendations that might help you to become a renowned organist.
First of all, you have to practice consistently. By consistently, I mean you have to try not to skip even a day without practice of some kind. Even only 30 minutes will do, if you don't have more time available. Of course, if you are really serious and want to become a world class organist, you will have to find more hours for your practice.
The next thing you have to do is to develop your organ technique. Your finger technique and your pedal technique is best developed by playing special exercises like Hanon exercises and scales and arpeggios either on the piano or on the organ. You can develop your pedal technique by playing pedal scales and arpeggios regularly.
Another thing you have to do is to build up your organ repertoire. If you only know 10 pieces, then you most likely will be able to play only one organ recital. Keep in mind that you cannot become famous and a renowned organist if you only have just enough pieces for only one recital.
You have to be able to play hundreds of organ pieces so learn new pieces every single month. That will give you much more flexibility and variety and your organ concerts will be much more interesting for organizers.
The next thing you have to be persistent and persevere in your organ practice. You cannot be an organist who simply gives up whenever he or she meets an obstacle in their way. You have to overcome any challenge, any obstacle in your practice. Give your best effort and stick to the plan.
Finally you have to have goals. Without the goals and exact steps to achieve these goals you cannot reach that level when you are famous and renowned organist.
Consider my recommendations, apply them in your practice and with time you will be able to reach your goal.
When organists want to become internationally famous and have a good performance career, the old ways of advertisement don't work very well anymore. This is because of increased competition and reduced attention span. People generally don't like advertisements.
Back in the old days, all you needed was to have a regular ad in one of the popular organ magazines and the concert arrangements would come to you (provided you were a good organist with proper education, of course).
Now the times have changed and you need something more. You need to become remarkable. How to achieve this? I have 3 suggestions for you:
1. Be yourself. Don't try to become somebody else. Look deep into your likes and dislikes, into your character, and make use of what is unique about yourself. Remember the story how George Gershwin met Maurice Ravel and said he wanted to study with him. Ravel reportedly told him "Why do you want to become a second-rate Ravel when you are already a first-rate Gershwin?"
2. Specialize. Be the best in the world in as smaller niche as possible. Then you will become indispensible. This applies to organ playing as well. Organ playing is a broad niche and if you specialize and excell in some smaller sub-niche of organ playing, then you will become an expert in that field. So when people will want to find an expert in this small area, they will go to you instead of somebody else.
3. Help other people grow. Even though you might not be an expert in organ playing yet, you certainly have your own experiences to share and stories to tell which will be helpful to other people.
A good way to help people is to regularly write a blog with a newsletter where you could share these things with your audience. This will help you to gather a certain amount of people who trust you and want to hear more from you.
Think about these tips and apply them in your life. With time, they will help you to become remarkable and different from other organists and the word about you will spread far and wide.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my video Organ Practice Guide.
Do you want to achieve success as an organist? I have 8 tips for your practice, recital playing and marketing in this article.
1. Quality in practice. Try to practice better than your competitors do. Do not allow yourself to make a mistake. If you make a mistake, go back and correct it until you can't make the same mistake again.
2. Quantity in practice. The more time you put in your practice the better. If you want to be the best in what you do, you cannot hope to achieve this level practicing only a few minutes a day.
3. Unique practicing approach. Try to be unique in your organ practice. Compare your practice to other areas of life and see if you can use similar techniques in your practice.
4. Unique recital programming. When you choose the program for your organ recital, always think of your listeners first. Ask yourself, what makes my program different from many others and worth listening?
5. Quality in playing recitals. Both in preparation and in performance you should strive for minimum mistakes. Stay focused in every measure and don't allow yourself to relax until your recital is over.
6. Quantity in playing recitals. Although playing 10 recitals is a good start, you need many more to gain experience and become an expert. Try to play as many recitals with the same program in different venues in the same year as possible. Then learn a new program and do the same.
7. Unique marketing approach. Use social media marketing and content marketing to achieve a wider web present.
8. Consistency in marketing. Think of marketing as growing a plant. You wouldn't water your tree just once and forget it, would you? Instead you would give your tree all your attention regularly and consistently. The same applies in marketing yourself as an organist.
Use the above tips in your organ practice, in playing recitals and marketing yourself as an organist today. In time, they will empower you to become a respected expert and a leader whom others will want to follow.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my FREE Organ Practice Guide.
Or if you really want to learn to play any organ composition at sight fluently and without mistakes while working only 15 minutes a day, check out my systematic master course in Organ Sight-Reading.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Our Hauptwerk Setup: