How to Become a Renowned Organist
Many organists want to become famous and world-renowned in their profession. Achieving this level, when you are famous and respected is not easy. It takes many years of consistent and effective practice and proper guidance from your instructor. Here I have a few recommendations that might help you to become a renowned organist.
First of all, you have to practice consistently. By consistently, I mean you have to try not to skip even a day without practice of some kind. Even only 30 minutes will do, if you don't have more time available. Of course, if you are really serious and want to become a world class organist, you will have to find more hours for your practice.
The next thing you have to do is to develop your organ technique. Your finger technique and your pedal technique is best developed by playing special exercises like Hanon exercises and scales and arpeggios either on the piano or on the organ. You can develop your pedal technique by playing pedal scales and arpeggios regularly.
Another thing you have to do is to build up your organ repertoire. If you only know 10 pieces, then you most likely will be able to play only one organ recital. Keep in mind that you cannot become famous and a renowned organist if you only have just enough pieces for only one recital.
You have to be able to play hundreds of organ pieces so learn new pieces every single month. That will give you much more flexibility and variety and your organ concerts will be much more interesting for organizers.
The next thing you have to be persistent and persevere in your organ practice. You cannot be an organist who simply gives up whenever he or she meets an obstacle in their way. You have to overcome any challenge, any obstacle in your practice. Give your best effort and stick to the plan.
Finally you have to have goals. Without the goals and exact steps to achieve these goals you cannot reach that level when you are famous and renowned organist.
Consider my recommendations, apply them in your practice and with time you will be able to reach your goal.
How to Become A Remarkable Organist?
When organists want to become internationally famous and have a good performance career, the old ways of advertisement don't work very well anymore. This is because of increased competition and reduced attention span. People generally don't like advertisements.
Back in the old days, all you needed was to have a regular ad in one of the popular organ magazines and the concert arrangements would come to you (provided you were a good organist with proper education, of course).
Now the times have changed and you need something more. You need to become remarkable. How to achieve this? I have 3 suggestions for you:
1. Be yourself. Don't try to become somebody else. Look deep into your likes and dislikes, into your character, and make use of what is unique about yourself. Remember the story how George Gershwin met Maurice Ravel and said he wanted to study with him. Ravel reportedly told him "Why do you want to become a second-rate Ravel when you are already a first-rate Gershwin?"
2. Specialize. Be the best in the world in as smaller niche as possible. Then you will become indispensible. This applies to organ playing as well. Organ playing is a broad niche and if you specialize and excell in some smaller sub-niche of organ playing, then you will become an expert in that field. So when people will want to find an expert in this small area, they will go to you instead of somebody else.
3. Help other people grow. Even though you might not be an expert in organ playing yet, you certainly have your own experiences to share and stories to tell which will be helpful to other people.
A good way to help people is to regularly write a blog with a newsletter where you could share these things with your audience. This will help you to gather a certain amount of people who trust you and want to hear more from you.
Think about these tips and apply them in your life. With time, they will help you to become remarkable and different from other organists and the word about you will spread far and wide.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my video Organ Practice Guide.
Many organists have a dream of one day becoming an organist of international level. They want to be able to tour the world extensively by giving organ concerts in the most famous cathedrals and concert halls of the world. Such a successful organist career gives possibilities to play interesting and important organs in various countries, meet new audiences, and showcase your organ skills for a large number of people. In this article, I will give you 15 tips which will help you in becoming an international concert organist.
1. Commit to practicing organ playing every day. Regular and wise practicing is vital in any organist career.
2. Develop an excellent finger and pedal technique on the organ. This is a critical step. You must have the ability to perform any technical feat which may be encountered in any organ composition.
3. Master a large amount of organ repertoire. Learn the most important pieces from the Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern periods of various national schools of organ composition.
4. Participate in various international organ academies and master classes. This will help you to advance your technical and artistic level, try new instruments, and make lots of personal connections.
5. If your age permits, participate in various local and international organ competitions. Winning major international organ competitions is the fastest road to success. Even if you don't win, the proper preparation and participation will propel you to the next level of advancement.
6. Make important personal and professional connections with organists across the globe. Use social media channels to increase the number of your friends in organ world.
7. Think about how you can be unique among other organists. Because the competition in the international organ scene is so huge, this is crucial point. You must find an angle which will help other people to perceive you and your skills in a different light from others.
8. Consistently market yourself as an organist. Use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and other social media channels to regularly spread the word about your professional achievements, activities, and engagements. However, be careful not to spam. All ways aim that your postings be of value and interest others first.
9. Create a personal website. Your website must make easy for your visitors to get more information about you.
10. Record video and/or audio samples of your playing. Your best recordings and videos will testify your advancement level.
11. Prepare unique and attractive program. Think of your audience, particular instrument as well as the concert organizers as you create a list of the organ pieces you want to put together for a recital.
12. Research and compile a list of possible organ concert venues and festivals. Use the Internet to find various churches, cathedrals and concert halls which offer international organ recital series.
13. Write an attractive recital proposal. Everything from a Subject line (a title) to introduction, body of your message and a call-to-action is important to keep the interest of your readers. If you fail but one detail, chances are that your email will end up in the spam or junk folder.
14. Send this proposal to your personal connections and a list of concert venues and festivals. Use your list you compiled in step 11 to spread your message.
15. Repeat previous steps as many times as you want. Remember, that personal development and marketing is an ongoing task so the more consistent effort you put into action the better chances you have to succeed. Don't expect to receive tons of offers from your first email. People have to trust you, they must have confidence in you and this takes time and persistence from your part.
There is much more you can do which can help you to become an international known organist. But these are the most important things. Although it takes many months to successfully complete this step-by-step plan, you can begin to implement it today.
By the way, do you want to learn to play the King of Instruments - the pipe organ? If so, download my FREE video guide: "How to Master Any Organ Composition" in which I will show you my EXACT steps, techniques, and methods that I use to practice, learn and master any piece of organ music.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Our Hauptwerk Setup: