Many organists need to regulate pedal couplers when they are practicing. Unregulated coupler will either not work at all or will cause ciphers which make your practice quite challenging. In this article, I will give my advice on how to regulate the pedal coupler on the mechanical action instrument.
1. Engage the coupler. Usually the couplers on the mechanical action organs are located next to the pedal board. Depress the coupler pedal and leave it in the fixed position.
2. Find the note that is sticking or isn't working properly. You either will hear the cipher right away or you will need to play every single pedal note one by one to check if it needs regulation.
3. Locate the tracker of the problematic note. In order to do this, you will need to open the panel above the pedal board. Check if you need a key to get inside of the organ. Once you have taken out the panel, try playing several times the desired note and locate the coupler mechanism of this particular pedal.
4. Take a screwdriver and try to regulate the tracker of the coupler. To make the mechanics of the coupler easier to understand, try playing the neighboring pedals and see how it works. Then adjust the tracker of the problematic coupler. On some instruments you will not need to use any screwdriver. Instead, they have special screws which can be adjusted by hand.
5. After the adjustment, try how it sounds and feels when you play it. You see, in the process of regulation, you might make it a bit too tense or too loose. It is best to check how it works when you play this pedal. If you need more adjustment, go back to step 4.
Remember to use these steps next time you sit down to practice organ and discover that the pedal couplers need adjustment. Note that in order not to cause any damage to the instrument, you have to be very sure of what you are doing, otherwise consult your organ technician or organ builder who takes care of your organ.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my FREE Organ Practice Guide.
Or if you really want to learn to play any organ composition at sight fluently and without mistakes while working only 15 minutes a day, check out my systematic master course in Organ Sight-Reading.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
Our Hauptwerk Setup:
Would you like to say "Thank You" to us?
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Don't have an organ at home?
Download paper manuals and pedals, print them out, cut the white spaces, tape the sheets together and you'll be ready to practice anywhere where is a desk and floor. Make sure you have a higher chair.