Here are some New Year's resolutions for organists:
1. Quit searching for a perfect organ playing method.
2. Start practicing.
3. Quit using heels in early music.
4. Start using alternate toe pedaling in early music.
5. Quit using finger glissando in early music.
6. Start using articulate legato in early music.
7. Quit doubling the pedal line with the left hand in hymn playing.
8. Start developing a true left hand and pedal independence in hymn playing.
9. Quit complaining how few people are interested in pipe organ and its art.
10. Start creating meaningful connection with your audience which will change everything.
On a more serious note, when you plan to add a good habit to your life, you have to also plan to quit a bad habit as well.
There are only 24 hours in a day. Whenever you add something in, you have to take something out.
Failing to take this into account is one of the main reasons why most New Year's resolutions don't last very long.
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
Would you like to say "Thank You" to us?
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Don't have an organ at home?
Download paper manuals and pedals, print them out, cut the white spaces, tape the sheets together and you'll be ready to practice anywhere where is a desk and floor. Make sure you have a higher chair.