They might also skip practice for a few days, which in turn slows down progress but creates an urgency to see the results faster. So they play the easy spots only without mastering the difficult place.
In the end, results can be very disappointing and even dangerous in the long run. If you find yourself in a similar situation, you need to refocus your organ practice.
1. Identify your goal in organ practice. Let's say you want to learn to play some particular piece fluently and without mistakes.
2. Think about what's holding you back from achieving your goal. It might be that you are having difficulty finding practice time each day. Another common challenge is the difficult spots in your music.
3. Think about what results will you get from practicing the wrong way. Just think what would happen if you continue to practice the way you are used to. Perhaps skipping some days without practice or playing only the easy spots in your music. Would you think the results will be great or not?
4. Think about what's need to be changed in order for you to reach this goal. If your challenge is practicing every day, then obviously you have to find a way to practice every day, even as little as 20-30 minutes. Perhaps you should limit your distractions which are not essential?
Think also how you can force yourself to play and master the difficult spots in your music? Yes, you just need to show some will power and play the challenging episodes first.
5. Think about how you will feel when you overcome this challenge. Will you be proud of yourself? Will you be able to play this piece for your friends or family? What would they say to you? I bet they also will be proud of your achievement. But most importantly, you will develop correct practice habits which will set you on the right course for the future.
6. Think about what it would mean for your to overcome your challenge. Are the benefits of the final result will be worth to you to push yourself one step further each time?
7. Take action - just practice the correct way. If you did all the previous steps in your mind, now it is time for action. Reading this article won't give you the results you want. Practicing the right way will.
Use these steps to refocus your organ practice today. Show some persistence and perseverance and you will succeed.
By the way, do you want to learn my special powerful techniques which help me to master any piece of organ music up to 10 times faster? If so, download my free Organ Practice Guide.
Or if you really want to learn to play any organ composition at sight fluently and without mistakes while working only 15 minutes a day, check out my systematic master course in Organ Sight-Reading.