Here are the 4 categories of organ practice:
1. Practicing incorrect way incorrect things (least ideal)
2. Practicing correct way incorrect things
3. Practicing incorrect way correct things
4. Practicing correct way correct things (ideal)
For every person the correct things in organ performance will be somewhat different but here are some general guidelines:
1. Within your technical abilities
2. Variety in historical periods
3. Variety in national schools
4. Variety in genres
5. Variety in character, keys, tempo, registration
The correct way of practice might look more similar from person to person:
1. Show up regularly
2. Slow speed
3. Short fragments
4. Reduced texture
5. Multiple repetitions
6. Correct fingering, pedaling, articulation, ornaments, hand and feet position
Identifying where you are within the above 4 categories of practice is the first step. (HT to John)
DON'T MISS A THING! FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL.
Would you like to say "Thank You" to us?
Drs. Vidas Pinkevicius and Ausra Motuzaite-Pinkeviciene
Organists of Vilnius University , creators of Secrets of Organ Playing.
Don't have an organ at home?
Download paper manuals and pedals, print them out, cut the white spaces, tape the sheets together and you'll be ready to practice anywhere where is a desk and floor. Make sure you have a higher chair.